Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thinking Holistically

For every few steps forward there seems to be a step backwards. There are the moments where kids are persevering, using the strategies of careful readers by using picture clues and sounding out words they don't know. There are moments where kids have "ah ha" moments, and their head turns to the blank page before them and they start to write furiously.

For all of those moments there are the times when someone has grabbed another student (who happens to be a friend!). There are also the moments of "I'm done-ness" that pervade, and the times when folks seem to be in their own bubble, with their own agenda. Those are the moments that bring out feelings of frustration, and perhaps a little embarrassment.

Embarrassment? Well I feel that way because I think that I haven't been effective in setting expectations, being clear in expectations, or establishing a safe and caring learning community. If... if... Those are the thoughts I use to help fuel my planning for the next day, but they also need to fade in their intensity. You need to remember the former of those two experiences. I need to think about the fact that 2 of the kids I have struggled with the most since the beginning of the year have started their journey to meeting me halfway. Frustration and embarrassment doesn't get you very far anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment