Sunday, March 8, 2009

Read Books, Get Inspired

I'm in the midst of reading The Year of the Dog (children's book by Grace Lin), In Schools We Trust for a second time (by Deborah Meier), and Whatever It Takes by Paul Tough. Also on my list is Coraline by Neil Gaiman (children's book). I am really excited about the Year of the Dog, and wish I had more time to get through the other books I have. There is a short block of time between the end of the quarter and student teaching, and hopefully I'll make my way through at least one book.

All of the books make me really reflective about reading instruction. Some of the best instruction in reading is just letting kids read. Do they need to be shown how to use fix-up strategies? Yes, of course they do. Do they need to be shown how to use comprehension strategies? Yes, of course they do. Even more, they need shared/guided practice using those assorted strategies in becoming better readers.

But what good are those strategies if you don't want to read? I wish every kid loved to read, but that is like asking for root beer lakes and cotton candy clouds. Utopia is hard to find. Kids need practice, on their own, with books that they enjoy. They need a chance to search for books that are just right, and a chance to sit down and stick their noses in those books. Without the time dedicated to sustained reading, even at the 1st grade level, students won't have the independent practice important to their growth. I want a little less basal reader practice, and more independent reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment