Monday, March 30, 2009

Slash and Burn

The State of Washington is cutting education funding, which is already lower (per student) than many other states. While it is a reality that the economy has tanked, should education be getting slashed the way that it is? I am not a budget expert, nor can I make any other recommendations as to cuts that I would make before cutting education. I just find myself scratching my head when we slash education funding, then complain about the education system that we have. I would also challenge those that think money doesn't make a difference in education. In this case it is money that is being used to reduce class size, which certainly matters (the difference between 20 and 24, or even 23 and 24 can be huge).

I also see this as problematic for those looking to get into the profession.... such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment