Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rethinking My Thinking

I've slowly started to bring in new wrinkles to our literacy time. It is a bit of an ambiguous block of time that I slowly want to evolve into a Reader's Workshop, as we have a Writer's Workshop in the afternoon. The end of the reader's workshop involves sharing out about what you read with the class- new ideas, questions, things you didn't know, etc etc. I'm still in the beginning stages, but I like how it brings our kiddos together to talk to each other, something I wish we did more of.

Tomorrow I am going to add in a reading journal. The primary point is to have kids logging what they read during our reading block, as getting to everyone daily is not feasible (at least in an authentic, genuine way). We have some floaters in reading who skate a bit under the radar, and they haven't had any really accountability (Yep I'm reading, sure, yes, of course!). Gradually I want to add in a little bit of writing about questions they have, interesting things they found out, etc from the books they are reading. Why leave those things in the ether? We can also use it to make predictions about what will come next, as well as some comprehension monitoring. Will be a time suck? I am going to aim for it NOT to be. The goal is to get them in the habit or sustained reading, something we haven't fully developed yet.

I wasn't going to add new things... but you can't sit idle and watch the time spin off the clock. I'm rethinking my thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment