Monday, March 23, 2009

Reflections Eternal

The first full day is in the books. No one got hurt, no one got lost, kids were engaged, and kids were happy. Student teaching is an odd land where the classroom is in the control of someone new while still being the classroom of the master teacher. To help kids meet the learning objectives, you need to be sure you are clear about your expectations (or so I feel).

Crafting and demonstrating expectations in timely efficient way is an art. I bogged down while spending additional time in being clear with expectations. For the most part, it was effective as I'd say that 75% of the kiddos met those expectations and worked hard throughout the day. The other 25% weren't quite with it, and struggled to acclimate. I think some of that is pushing boundaries to see if I would push back or if I would relent. Another part of it is being clear, direct, and continuing to repeat those directions and expectations to them. They're kids, not robots, and they need many reminders.

Instructionally I felt ok. I was able to get through 4 reading conferences, and feel like I have a good idea where they are. Some other kiddos were tying up a literacy project, so the entire literacy block doesn't feel cohesive. Math was fantastic, and is probably where I feel the most comfortable currently. I was successful in integrating the virtual manipulative for money, which rolled straight into my own spin-off of the Everyday Math activity for the day. Writing is still a work in progress, which isn't surprising. Alas...

I live to give it another go tomorrow with the wealth of today's new found knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment