Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Content Knowledge Flowing Like a Wide River

I am wrestling with the notion of depth vs breadth. I worry about having strong pedagogy, and having strong practice, but lacking strong pedagogical content knowledge. More specifically, I worry that I won't really know enough within given content areas to help my kiddos along. I know that you continue to learn, but that doesn't give me much consolation at the onset.

This all comes from a conversation about math curriculum, and knowing what to skip. A colleague was saying that she was unsure as to why the master teacher skipped a section of a lesson that my colleague thought was important for the content knowledge for students. How do you know when it is appropriate? How do you know that your kids won't be lost by skipping that section?

No comments:

Post a Comment