Friday, February 13, 2009

Why So Glum?

There are many things that I haven't done of late. I have fallen a little behind in my reading, pushing them into the school week (instead of over the weekend). I was going to post on Memoir Monday... well I was too busy running in circles to do so. I've even fallen behind in my blog reading, watching my list grow to an appalling 100+ entries, partially because of the addition of some new blogs. Thankfully I cleaned some of that out today, and got in some great reading. I have some starred that I will post later.

One striking observation: the tone seems to be rather glum. Whether it is KIPP and charter schools, seeing so much red ink in grading, or irritation about Arne Duncan and the stimulus, people seem to have been taken by the grim reaper. Why so sad friends, why so sad? My glass is half-full, and I can't help but think of Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams! Let's build it (whatever it is!) so that they will come...

That has gotten me thinking about student teaching, which officially starts in 7 weeks. I've been formulating how I envision my blocks of time, and what I want to accomplish in those blocks. I harken back to Regie Routman who said, in response to those who complained about a lack of time, that you make time for what you value. Change makes me a tad nervous, but I can rely on my experience and knowledge to buttress the reasoning for making changes. I feel ready for the challenge. It has been interesting contrasting my experience with those of another student teacher who I have yet to introduce myself to. Turn that frown upside down!

No comments:

Post a Comment