Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What I Learned!?

I learned that I really like science and math. I find them to be easier to wrap my brain around, maybe because they are concrete. These content areas also happen to have guides that give me concrete examples of what can be done. What gets me is following along without making the necessary adjustments to get the lesson to work in your classroom.

I learned that I want my kids to read for pleasure. I need variety in my reading block of time, and I want kids to be practicing reading books that they want to read. Reading can go in many different directions, and can also be structured in a myriad of ways. I have some ideas for how I want to structure my literacy block.

I've learned that you need to be ready for anything, including teaching the next lesson in the series. I made the mistake of getting a project started in writing, but not thinking of step numero dos. What is the next step in the how to writing? I got them started, I got them engaged... Now what?!

Piggybacking... I've learned that the teacher's job is never done. I've photocopied the writing from our writer's workshop, and am going to make a determination of where the students need to go to have a how-to book that works.

Monday marks the first day that I will submit my Memoir Monday to Two Writing Teachers. You don't get better at teaching writing unless you practice it yourself. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment