Sunday, February 1, 2009

Teaching Writing

Monday marks my first attempt at teaching writing. I am REALLY excited about it. Lately I've been reading a series of writing books authored by Lucy Calkins, and I am excited about trying my hand at guiding students in the writing workshop. It also happens to be the first time that I am officially observed this quarter. I'm less worried about the observation, and more worried about getting the kids to where I want them to go...

We are going to create our own How-to books. They've been exposed to this type of writing already, and have an idea of how the process works. This will be their first chance to write their own book, and teach their peers something that they know how to do. Originally I was going to have them record these books as part of a podcasting series, but I am going to hold off on that until the spring. I'll post some of my technology integration ideas in the next few days... I see some interesting ways that I can integrate technology and change the audience that the students are writing for....

...I'll also post my objective, instructional strategies, and assessment later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment