Thursday, February 5, 2009

There's No Whining In Teaching!

I'm a distance runner. I run marathons, and run everyday. While running isn't always enjoyable, I've learned to tolerate the act, believing that the hard work will ultimately pay off in becoming fitter (and a faster time). I put quite a bit of time in, often over 10 hours per week in running along (not counting stretching or icing), and it certainly isn't easy. I've tried going the route of running less, cutting corners a bit, but it hasn't worked for me and I just ended up irritated for my own stupidity. I could complain about the work I need to do, but it isn't worth it. I've moved myself to a place where I understand the problem before me.

Running? On an education blog? Thanks for sharing, right?! Well I see the two as highly correlated. In our learners we need to move them to a point where they are interested. If they aren't interested, we get stuck on the complaining. "But we already read that?" and "Do we have to?" are familair refrains. Moving learners to a point where they want to learn, and are engaged in the process is very important.

I think about this in the context of teacher education as well. Whether aspiring teachers (like myself), or professional development, people need to be invested in the process. Teachers need to be actively engaged in their own learning, otherwise why are we doing it? Who does it help to go through the motions or to simply "show up"? No one said teaching would be easy. We don't want to reinvent the wheel, but we do want to push the profession forward. When will the leap happen to a place of active engagement?

No comments:

Post a Comment