Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Remediation *edited

While I was running, and staring at Mt. Rainier, I got to thinking. I had sent along a link regarding an average Algebra class versus a remedial class. At issue was how engaged the students were in the respective classes. What I was thinking about (and have now edited, as I got off on a tangent) was the question: Why would they be more engaged? While a video or stop motion, or any number of things might be more engaging than strict algorithms, aren't they still within the realm of math? Aren't these the kids that haven't been successful in math? I liken it to a person who doesn't like basketball being told that they should watch an NBA Finals or NCAA tournament game (compared to two awful teams), as it will spark more engagement. Perhaps it is a difference in what we (and they) consider to be interesting. To me, the video was interesting... but I enjoy math and interesting techie stuff.

What I started to think about was the notion of remediation. A question that I need to post is: What is different, in terms of instruction, in the two classes? I also wonder what is different in the remedial instruction compared to the instruction the students have received in the past. If they had the same instruction (which I am not sure of at all), in particular being taught using the same instructional methods, then how can we expect their performance to have changed? Isn't that the definition of insanity?

That also got me thinking about remediation. Remediation in elementary school can often mean pull-out. In some cases that can be good, particularly those that use different instructional methods to teach old concepts. As an example, in reading we have some kiddos who head out to get extra reading support. When they are getting pulled out they lose connection with their classmates (and that community). Additionally, does nailing those strategies again and again really amount to anything different compared to past instructional strategies? Additionally, are any gains that they might get worth it? Remediation often seems like another method of gatekeeping, and another way for us to pawn students off to someone else- abdicating our responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment