Monday, June 1, 2009

Butterfly Release Party

I wasn't able to accomplish what I wanted with the butterflies. I had hoped to be able to cycle back from the butterflies to our plants that we planted a little over a month ago. The main question I wanted the kids to think about was what do living things need to stay alive? This would be an interesting and challenging question for them as we had a butterfly not make it, and several plants not really become plants (more like cartons dirt!).

The dreams of getting to that point are over. Nonetheless we had a great time letting the butterflies out of the pavilion today. They wrote wishes/hopes for their butterflies before heading outside, then we went out and released them... and they don't go fluttering away in rapid fire fashion. It is a one by one, 10-15 minute thing (for our 30+ butterflies). Most were really engaged and excited. Some less engaged, but overly excited (something I am not sure I would ever say). We then returned to all tell our butterfly wishes as I gave out snack.

In retrospect, my overall planning would have put me at the end of my teaching as of last Friday. Bringing a whole new set of stuff into the following week when I am leaving is a little difficult. My master teacher has stuff to get to, and I am trying to wrap up. Poor planning on my part, but not much you can do with nature... butterflies don't hatch on my schedule but rather their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment