Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Human Resources

I've gotten into twitter. I am sure I will become bored of it, but I enjoy following folks. In some cases, such as this week(end) it is useful as people will tweet the results from sporting events (such as the NCAA Track Champs). But I read an interesting tweet (or two) from a teacher. He had a conversation with a business woman about scripted curricula. Long story short, her response was one of turning an HR problem into a curriculum and instruction problem.

I hadn't really thought about it exactly that way. I guess I had resigned myself to the issues that education has in human resources, namely that you can't get rid of "bad teachers." What "bad" means is open to interpretation, but I take it to mean those that aren't steeped in "good" pedagogy, and aren't helping students grow as learners. They lack the knowledge of instructional strategies to help their students grow.

Why do we have these HR problems? I am not saying run schools as businesses or corporations, as they are different entities. While you can say schools "produce a product," not all of our "products" are the same. But that doesn't absolve us of letting bad teachers, poor providers of instruction, continue to educate kids.

2 comments:

  1. Not a comments on that tweet (that I also saw!) but some twitter resources:

    http://www.techlearning.com/article/20896

    http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/socialmedia/edutwitter.html

    And forgive me for not taking time to make the links active-- on a short break here!

    It's been good to drop in on your thinking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. I am excited about the idea of using twitter in an ed-community sense. I've only really scratched the surface, and until now have felt funny about it. "Why do they want to know if I am going to get coffee?" But really it is the other stuff, the questions/ideas that can be posited that make it such a valuable resource.

    Your community, which used to be confined to your building/cohort/friends is expanded to anyone that has an Internet connection. Even for someone who feels tech-savvy, it takes some adjusting.

    ReplyDelete