Monday, June 22, 2009

Dreaming of Something Bigger

I work at a mammoth coffee chain in Downtown Seattle. You can likely guess which one. I enjoy the change of pace that it gives me during the summer (off-season if you will), and a chance to be away from kids. I will own up to a love of coffee, and sarcasm, two things that children don't quite appreciate as much!

What I didn't notice, until this morning, was how ambivalent people are. The charge that I see every morning walking into the school, from kids, parents and staff, is the polar opposite. The come and go, rush through to the next stop, is rather disheartening. When we talk about creating lifelong learners who can contribute to society, is that what we picture? While I understand how important having a job is, I hope that I'm not merely helping kids up onto the conveyor belt of work. I'm not sure any teacher really hopes that their students will want to be corporate worker bees (can you just imagine the student who says "I want to work for a big name corporation in a bland sounding job!"). I dream of something more for our kids, and whether they get there remains to be seen...

No comments:

Post a Comment