Monday, June 15, 2009

Pools versus Positions

As a newly certificated teacher, I join the many (likely hundreds?) that are looking for teaching jobs in the Seattle metro area. The process of applying for jobs is not like other professions. This isn't a send a cover letter and resume for a position or ad posting. No no! That would be too simple. Instead it is a hybrid between your ordinary paper application (re: Starbucks, etc) and the aforementioned career postings.

Most districts have moved to an online application. I'm cool with that, particularly as it saves paper, although I am sure there is an argument that the energy usage negates any such savings. Additionally you need to copy and mail anything that can't be scanned or uploaded. Hmmm. Few districts still have a paper application that gets filed in the central office, so I need to get over that (although any misspellings can be blamed on my failing eyesight caused by staring at the computer screen filling out said apps).

What is most interesting is the notion of a "pool." Since most districts are without actual positions to offer, they are establishing a pool. This pool, which makes me think of floaties and a life preserver, is to establish capable candidates for the district. I see the district's point of view, which (I think) is that they want to be in control of who teaches in their district, as well as ensuring that their principals/staff are focused on teaching (instead of wading through applicants). You could posit that good teachers are good teachers, so what's the fuss?

I simply wonder whether the district knows what is best for each individual school. I'm not sure all teachers fit at all schools, particularly as they bring different strengths that are useful for particular positions. The technology skills that I have might not be as useful at a school lacking in technology. Similarly, my monolingualism doesn't serve me well in a school dominated by second language speakers or dual language programs. Does a central screening process, by a district, serve it well with applicants? I really don't know. What I do know is that my eyes hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment