Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Too Many Items...

One of the issues I seem to run up against is having too many different balls in the air. Yesterday the kids started a short poem to go with the piece of art they had created (also started yesterday- to go with the story Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco). I wasn't there, so I came in a little blind to it today. I thought that the art was done, and that the poem was almost tied up and ready to have a proverbial bow put on it. Ahhh, but not so fast Daniel-san.

I had a few kids who weren't here yesterday, some who hadn't finished their art (crayon resist), and some who didn't really know what was happening with the poem. The flip side to that would be a quarter of the kids who just needed to write it on final draft paper. Oy vey! What to do, and how to ensure that all needs are met? Well I opted to take the ones who hadn't gotten going on the poem (simple Adjective/Noun/Verb format) and grouped them together. We worked on going over what an adjective, noun, and verb were before transitioning into practicing with putting them together.

From there it looked a bit like triage, as we also have All-About books being written too! Those were the "when you finish with your poem" writing today. Really I wish I could have shifted priorities, as everyone needs more writing instruction for their All About books. Time is ticking away... 2.5 days to get everything done.

No comments:

Post a Comment