Sunday, May 3, 2009

All About...

Tomorrow is a big day for my writers. They get a chance to share their All About Me book with one of the 1st grade classrooms. Most are done, or just about done, so tomorrow will be a bit of a scramble to finish it up. By 1:30 or so we are heading downstairs to share... will the deadline be met?!

Why the rush? Well we've spent a week and a half on them, and the task of writing about themselves has run its course. Most have gamely taken to the task. Some... well, not so gamely. Sentences like "I like candy. It tastes good" accompanied by cries of "I'm done" are not what I had envisioned. Moving to revise and add to our writing has not been met with joy, which is understandable. My expectations for writing are a bit different than my MT's, to which they are adjusting.

For the most part this has worked out well though, and will serve us well going forward. We are going to get a chance to start an All About book on something we know/like after this. If you like soccer, and know enough to write about it, this is great for you! How about comics? Same! My hope is to learn from my earlier adventures in How-To writing, and steer people to topics that they A) have enough information to write about and B) are broad + specific at the same time (broad in that it isn't "Snickers candy bars" but more specific that "Vietnamese"- I can see both being possible topics coming my way!). At any rate, I am excited for us to celebrate tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment