Monday, May 4, 2009

Questions

We have gone through a weird transition in our reading block. We started reading from the Houghton Mifflin anthology, but it wasn't a whole class thing. Many other groups were reading different books (Junie B. Jones, DragonSlayers Academy, Frog and Toad, and the Secrets of Droon to name a few). I decided, with my MT's blessing, that we would work on learning how to find just-right books. After that we started into the idea that "reading is thinking."

Well a few weeks have gone by, and we are still toiling away in the reading is thinking area. It is a little different now though. Some kids are back reading the anthology, and some are reading different series' of books. Many (and I mean MANY) are reading Junie B Jones. The reading instruction, as a whole, hasn't been what I would have hoped.

That being said we are going forward with the idea of questioning. The idea that we ask questions while we are reading (and before, and after, and ALL THE TIME!) is an essential one to me. Without questioning we lose focus on what we are supposed to be reading. Questioning is a way for us to wonder about what the author is saying, make predictions (in a backwards sort of way), and make connections to other parts of our life.

For example, I recently read Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policemen's Union (great book by the way, really enjoyed it). Before reading I was wondering if the book would be anything like his last book (Adv of Kavalier and Clay)? I wondered what Alaska would be like (it is set in Sitka)? I wondered what the title meant? Once I started reading I was wondering if this was historical fiction (did this kinda, sorta happen)? Were Jewish people as close as they seemed to be in the book?... and on and on. While I didn't read a ton everyday, my questions kept me engaged as I plodded along. Without questions... well it would be like many other books on my shelf: stuck there with a bookmark between page 40-70.

No comments:

Post a Comment