Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Happy Accidents

I have enjoyed reading To Understand thus far. Since I started student teaching, back in March, I have been going through some of the books my wife and I have.... Growing Readers by Kathy Collins, Reading (and Writing) Essentials by Regie Routman, Study Driven by ??? The past 3+ weeks I haven't really tried to read much of the school related ilk, so this has been a wonderful change (if only for the past day or so).

Keene writes about the "happy accidents" that occur during the school year. That is, we have students who get totally immersed in a topic or book. When this happens we become elated, as the student has just realized the potential that we have seen since Day 1. The problem with the happy accident is this: why can't it happen everyday? The same child may have been pushing us to wits end the day before (and the day after), so what caused this change in their learning?

As someone who wants to create lifelong learners, how do I make those happy accidents less accidental and more regular? That question is something I'll be pondering for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment