Thursday, May 21, 2009

Run. It's Good For You!

Exercise is essential to the brain function of our kids. Vigorous physical activity has been linked positively to academic performance, although the fact sheet with that info escapes me currently. When I have my own classroom I want to do a 10 minute outside whole group game time. I've seen it done with teams of classrooms (upwards of 50+ kids), and it has been great. Start the day with exercise, get the brain ready for the day. Instead we have kids come in, get a sugary breakfast (or no breakfast), and sit around a bunch until recess. Sure they move... to the carpet... then to get a book... then back to their chair... 50 steps? Maybe....

Tomorrow, even as I don't feel all that great, I'm bringing the soccer ball out to recess. Last time I had 8 kids join up for a game, and they ran like crazy. Let's see what tomorrow brings... For me it is a morning 7 miler followed by an afternoon of 8 miles in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment