Thursday, May 21, 2009

Something to Shout About

I'm not sure what it is about the Spring, but something is driving the kids batty. Maybe it is me, maybe it is the pollen, maybe it is something happening at home, but they've gone a little haywire if you ask me. Fuses are short, and most folks are quick to turn on their neighbor for even the littlest thing.

For example, one student turned backwards in their chair (hand on the top), and another pushed back to smash the first student's fingers. There was a little "Owwww" to be had followed by, "You always do this to me." I love the use of "always," as it captures the essence of how 1st and 2nd graders feel- it doesn't happen just once, it ALWAYS happens, and will continue to happen (when it rains it pours?).

Kids have gotten on each other's nerves, and we might need a little more community building. I've thought of bringing everyone together to give a compliment to another student at the end of each day... turn the tide on the negativity a bit. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment