Friday, April 17, 2009

Photostory

We started recording today. I don't think I can post the kid's work on here, as they aren't really my own students yet. That being said, I was impressed with how the dynamics of writing seemed to change once kids saw what their writing was going to transform into. The format is as basic as it gets: one picture, and their voice reading their writing. There may be one or two that have multiple pictures, but most aren't at that point.

How I got here is a bit of a mystery. Originally we were simply bringing some work to completion, a piece that they chose from a pile of unfinished work ("starts" as my master teacher termed them). Some had starts, some didn't, and the process has been a little bit of a mess. Some like writing, some don't, and their stamina is relatively low.

Somewhere along the line kids wanted to record... with the tape recorders. That got me thinking of photostory, and the rest is history. We have 3 in the books, and the change in attitude towards writing is interesting. Kids are clamoring to record, and will turn their focus to their final draft as they know they need it in order to record. One even said she was done, and got to recording and said "that doesn't make sense," opting to go finish her work! We'll have a viewing session, much like an author's chair in the end.... I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment