Monday, April 20, 2009

The More You Write, The More It Grows!

I started a new routine by accident. My transitioning is sub-par at best. Personally, I feel like it is somewhere between horrific and disorganized. Others have said that it isn't quite as bad, but I am seeking perfection (and always trend lower in my self assessment). Alas I digress.

When the kids come in from somewhere, such as Music, PE, or Recess, I start to write on the whiteboard. I keep my voice off, and just let them read it. What happens, and this is fascinating to me, is that 2 or 3 kids will start to read it aloud. They read it aloud because that is their nature, and they haven't been told to stop, I think it is harmless. Actually it is GREAT! What happens is the other kids think they are supposed to join in, and they ALL start to read it. Kids who are normally stragglers come in quicker as they think they are missing something. They guess on the words as I am writing, and are engaged in the intro process. It sure beats saying, "Ok here we go" or "Ladies join us" etc etc.

Now that I have them, I need to improve in the actual execution of independent/guided practice. I see the demonstration section as being better than I would have expected, and the shared section as at least adequate. The trick is that moving to independent writing, independent reading, or even the exploration in science is difficult. Stamina, which I have mentioned before, is an issue. I have started to question whether the task is too much, but then see that it is a minority of the students. Of those students that are struggling to get moving, they've all shown that they can accomplish the task. Perhaps it is an issue of motivation, and I need to rethink my approach. Alas... another day in the books, and more questions added to the pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment