Friday, April 3, 2009

6-9 Weeks

My big job for the next few days is to make a plan for the next few weeks. "Few?" you say, "What do you mean by 'few'." Well I haven't narrowed down just how far out I want to go, but I want a working draft of the next 3-5 weeks. At the very least that will give me something to put into my university binder, but it with also give me an idea of what direction I want to take this bus of 1st and 2nd grade learning.

Normally I think a student teacher might be picking up where their master teacher left off. For me, I have been given a blank slate. I asked if I could implement some new ideas, such as having kids independent reading, new writing mini-lessons, etc... and I was given a green light. But in order for kids to read independently, they need to know how to find just right books. Kids also need to be taught what it means to think while reading, and how to talk to partners about the books they are reading. The bottom line is there is much to do.

Now I'm not quite sure how long my student teaching will go on for. Student teaching, solo that is, should go for 6 weeks and end by June 4th. I've gone one week solo, and have at least another 5. I'll teach for as long as they let me, maybe 6... maybe 9 (if it is through the 4th!). There is more planning to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment