Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Outliers

Instruction improved today... at least the results did. I am not sure if it was being back from break for a second day, or better planning, or simply being used to better weather (an April rarity), but things certainly improved. We'll see if the yo-yo pattern continues through tomorrow, or if it is steady as she goes. I'm hopeful.

Now why is this entitled "outliers"? Well I am curious if my instruction is effective with 75-85% of the kids, but just not working with the other 15-25%. I'm not sure if that is an instructional issue, or if it is a product of the social dynamics in the room (kids who want to be friends, want to talk all day long about what they want to talk about, etc). As I see it, the issue is creating a space for them to have those conversations so that the sidetalk will dissipate. Or... is the issue one of having relevant material? Hmmm.

Tonight I need to craft a letter to parents introducing myself, and giving them an idea that I have a clue what I am doing. What am I doing anyway? Well tomorrow we'll plant some seeds, and continue to improve our writing... amongst other things.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some pictures. That depends on me bringing a camera to school...

No comments:

Post a Comment