Sunday, July 25, 2010

Wall Space (re-post)

(sorry if you get this twice... problems with the previous post)

One of the big things I've been thinking about is the lack of wall space in my classroom. The way the school was built (and many in my district), there were rooms that were large enough for classes to use for special projects and small groups. It abuts classrooms on each side, aside from the door to the outside.


In the front of the room (right side on the first picture) is my Activeboard. The ceiling is high, so I utilized a small section about the projector for a timeline (link to social studies standards). On the far wall is an open wall that I've used, but it still lacks some of the accessibility because 2 computers sit in front of it. In addition the green area is a bulletin board with 2 computers in front of that too (you're starting to see a pattern).


As we travel around the room counterclockwise, we have more of the same. My double doors to the outside, makeshift coat rack out of shelving, and really high ceilings that let in lots of light. There is actually too much at times as it whites out the Activeboard. The space above the doors is a space I haven't really used, although it certainly is a consideration. I'm also thinking of blacking out the windows (lock down precaution anyway) and using that for charts or student work. In the back you see another bulletin board with 2 computers right in front of it.
Now the last two pictures continue to travel counterclockwise. The theme, again, is computers in front of wall space (by the way, the classroom library is to the right of the big green/blue cupboard). My whiteboards (one to the left of the Activeboard, one in the back) are well used. The back for schedules, sites we use, and jobs while the front is used during teaching.
I think what I am looking for, overall, is a way to display information that we have covered (American Revolution, Slave Trade, Colonies, etc), charts we have used to help us work on skills (inferring, predictions, FQR sheets), and student work from current events to book recommendations. I think some things need to be moved around like my maps and number line. Additionally I need to make some executive decisions about how to prioritize what goes where (most important in most accessible area). I also will need to consider making some charts larger so that they can be seen better, particularly if I want to better utilize that high ceiling area.

No comments:

Post a Comment