Thursday, July 22, 2010

Revamping the Classroom Library

There comes a time that books go out of style. Over time, the book will lose its appeal to the audience. It might be the story, or the cover, or the binding. For some reason people just don't want to read it anymore. That seems to be the case with my classroom library.

In particular, my novel study books are fairly dated. Books like Hatchet, the River, Detectives in Togas, and the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler are all fine books, but rather old (all things considered). I still plan to use them, or at least some of them. But once August hits, I need to head over to some of the local used bookstores and look for newer books. I tried that earlier this year, finding the Janitor's Boy from Andrew Clements (another book from the author of Frindle). Kids were very excited by the newer book, clambering to have a crack at it.

My attention will turn to books like the Breadwinner, Al Capone Does My Shirts, and Tiger Rising. The goal will be to accumulate as many copies as possible for the 70-75 kids I'll see in Reading/Social Studies. Later, someone will go through the same process I am (hopefully in 15-20 years!).

1 comment:

  1. Four of my favorite local sources for cheap (and often desirable titles) of kids books:
    1. Value Village (Kirkland and Redmond) - kids books for $.69
    2. King County libraries - friends of the library sale shelf ($.25-$2)
    3. McDonalds Books (Redmond) - great deal if you take in some books to sell for credit. (Ex. With credit, a kids paperback costs less than $1 cash)
    4. Half Price Books (biggest selection, most expensive of the above)

    Happy Hunting!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete