Saturday, July 31, 2010

Learning From Baseball

I am a huge Red Sox fan. I have been since I was a little kid. While I live in Seattle, I still root for the Red Sox whenever they come to town (I nearly had a heart attack last Thursday when they were here). But I follow the Seattle Mariners, if for no other reason than to want to see the home team succeed. It isn't much fun, as a sports town, when the home team is getting pummelled on a nightly basis.

One of the blogs that I check out, casually at least, is the Seattle Times Mariners Blog. I stumbled upon something that hit home for me, as a teacher, when I read it...

You don't learn by studying the stuff you know. You learn by studying the stuff that you don't know. So, if you divide the world into (crap) that you know and (crap) that you don't know, and you study the stuff that you know, then you're not going to learn very much. All of the progress comes from studying the stuff that you don't know. So, that's really what's interesting. And that's where most of your focus should be. Studying stuff that you can't agree about.

Just a thought that I will carry with my for a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment