Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rules

I just finished Rules by Cynthia Lord. As a whole I really enjoyed it. The book is about a middle school (or intermediate) aged girl who has a brother with autism. She has to take care of him often, and finds that others don't necessarily understand her. But the story becomes complicated by a boy that she meets at her brother's OT sessions. The boy happens to be in a wheelchair, and be mute. Additionally, a girl her age moves in next door and Catherine (the main character) hopes that they will become friends.

I see the applications to my kiddos. The themes of difference and acceptance run throughout. In addition I think many of my kids could associate with the idea of wanting to be friends with someone that is different than they are (with a disability etc) but struggling with the discord that is struck between what is popularly considered normal. Many might not really say that they have been in Catherine's shoes, but I would be willing to bet that more than 3/4's have. It is particularly important at an age where social status and fitting in starts to become more apparent.

Definitely will be considered for my novel study groups in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment