Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Real Problems

I came across this blog post from over at NYC Educator today. Additionally, I went to the link in the post, which can be found here. The crux is that a high school student was shipped from a "public charter school" to a regular public school, largely because of inconvenience to the charter school (with there being many meanings to inconvenience in this case).

As a whole, I am conflicted about charter schools. They must be doing some things right, otherwise they wouldn't be getting all of the publicity saying they are the magic fix (right?!). I also have a friend that is a principal of a new KIPP school on the east coast (and when I say new, I mean just opening this fall... or next week). But, thinking they are the magic fix to our education woes is laughable at best. Additionally, there is a significant issue with regards to the statistical achievements they are often lauded for.

That really isn't the issue here for me. What kills me (no irony intended) is that charter schools can be allowed to ship students off because they are inconvenient. One of the teachers quoted in the secondary link is that many of the students she receives come with incomplete evaluations. What the??? How is that fair by any stretch of the imagination? They cry foul because they don't have the resources?! And the larger public school system does? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment