Monday, August 10, 2009

Buzzing

Twitter and the blogosphere are all abuzz about an opinion piece (letter) entitled Why I Left Teaching Behind. The letter is an interesting read, particularly for someone that is entering year one of teaching. I can't debate the merits of the letter since it is her rationale for leaving, but I can't say her rationale is anything I haven't heard before.

Teaching is an odd career choice because of its position in society. The paradox goes as follows: it is always mentioned as one of the keys to our society, but it is treated as though anyone off the street could do it. Teachers are seen as integral to our societal success, but it is "so nice" or selfless to have chosen to teach.

I'm excited about the chance to teach a variety of different things each day, week, month, and year. I'm excited about seeing a myriad of different learners, and helping them succeed. I'm just plain excited, even if I don't know what grade I'm teaching... or where I'll be teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment