Monday, August 3, 2009

Damaged Goods

I have returned from my much needed break from blogging and all things education. While I was still reading postings in my google reader, I stopped writing and reading anything else. Like my wife, I professed to take a break until August 1st... and I'm back!

Since I don't have a grade level or school yet (but do have a contract), I've started by reading more background stuff. I'm finishing To Understand by Keene (co-author of Mosaic of Thought), which has been a good start. My wife is finishing Results Now, which is next on my list, and then there is a chapter from the Morning Meeting book that I am going to read. In my starred blog posts is one about classroom blogging, which I am excited to read a bit more thoroughly (as well as doing more classroom blog research- Learning is Messy etc).

Psyched to get rolling, and psyched to be back. I'll leave you with this comment from Pat Conroy (another google reader nugget):

I have yet to meet an English teacher who assigned a book to damage a kid. They take an unutterable joy in opening up the known world to their students, but they are dishonored and unpraised because of the scandalous paychecks they receive. In my travels around this country, I have discovered that America hates its teachers, and I could not tell you why.

Dishonored and "unpraised" (sic)... hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment