Friday, August 14, 2009

More Than Just Keyboards

Today was the start of technology training. Two sessions, one to get familiar with policies and the second to get familiar with navigating the staff portal etc. The days of just using a computer and a projector are effectively over (at least for me). My student teaching featured a presentation computer attached to a document camera and projector. Together I was able to beam images, show copies like the old school ditto machine (transparency and all). That was effective for me, and it was a healthy amount of technology, but certainly not overly abundant.

Well, technology should be fully integrated this year. First off is having a whiteboard with an Activeboard on top if it... right in the middle. The expectation is that you will use the activeboard, make flip charts, and use it as a way to engage your kids. For example you can do the instruction you would do with a whiteboard, but you can then have kids writing onto the activeboard- and save it! Plus you can add in small checks for understanding that give you more information to assess where your teaching is (did I teach that concept effectively? do I need to spend a little more time with that concept or idea?). Additionally you still have your projector and document camera.

There were tons of other things learned today, not just how to use activeboards and create flip charts. The question I circle back to is: how am I going to teach what I want to teach AND integrate technology into it? That will be unsettled until I learn my grade and school. Much to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment