Thursday, August 20, 2009

Knowledge is... what you know

I feel like I've been caught in a wind tunnel with the wind cranked on high this week. Training seems like it is over for the week, so I can catch my breath and digest all the information thrown at me. The first half of the week was spent in three hour content sessions going over elements of effective student-centered teaching for those content areas, as well as standards, and curricular materials. The second half was spent on the professional evaluation system, the new teacher support program, and HR stuff (payroll, benefits, paperwork tie-ups, accidents, etc). If I was a K-2 teacher I'd be heading to a half day training tomorrow, but I'm not sure where I'll be as of yet.

I don't have any personal experiences to compare this training system to. Using anecdotal references, I can tell you I'm far better off compared to other districts. My district seems intent on preparing their rookies, and ensuring they are not miles behind their colleagues. Instead of tossing us into the deep end without any support we've been tossed a life raft or life preserver. Don't get me wrong, we're still in the deep end. There aren't other teachers who'll come and take over for you at the instant you struggle. But the district provides you resources to get you through those struggles.

So far, so good.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your first job! It's encouraging, as a student, to hear that you were able to find one so soon after completing your degree. I've been wondering as I read your posts, did the district give you any indication of how much time you will have to prepare for your class once you do get your grade level?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the congratulations. I was hired in July, and hired into the elementary pool. Others were placed, but I was in a flexible position to account for fluxuations in enrollment. When I asked when I might know, they asked that I be "patient," which I was.

    I was placed yesterday, which is great since it could have been as late as midweek. The challenge now is getting ready for kids in 10 days.

    As a student entering the profession, you need to be proactive. I know others that have waited to fill out applications, something that would have driven me nuts. You need to gather your materials, get your recommendations, and do your homework well in advance. The alternative is to be left scrambling along with the many (MANY) other poeple in the same position.

    ReplyDelete