Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Get It Started

Tomorrow is day one for my school district. I'm firmly of the belief that if you don't get nervous for day one with students then it is time for you to reconsider your choice of profession. You've got 20-30 kids staring at you wanting you to give them direction- and you don't want to screw it up because... It is the first day, and first impressions are important. Alas.

Like 99% of my brethren I start with very simple objectives. The first day is about community building, routines, and common expectations. We'll sprinkle in some assessing, but not a ton on day one. There is that sweet spot for not assessing- not right away (kids are on summer mode) and not too late (wasted instructional time).

I'm toying with the idea of putting our 3-4 objectives on the whiteboard. Typically I do that for my reading/social studies block, but I haven't done that for our beginning of the year stuff. I have the feeling it will help us set our course, particularly since we are still dreaming of summer. So why are we doing "class about me bingo?" and why am I writing you a letter? Oh right, I am getting to know my peers and introducing myself. Right!

Carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment