Thursday, September 6, 2012

First two days

The best part about the mobile blogger app is that it makes blogging more accessible. I typically reflect on my day in the evening, and am not always in front of my computer. I also don't always want to be thinking about my school day while sitting with my laptop on my lap, or hunched over a table. So hopefully that leads to more blogging, or more reflection...

The first days are always a bit of a grind. You really aren't humming along, and everything takes a little longer than you think it will. But we got quite a bit accomplished. We've established our expectations, spending about an hour working on them- what is an expectation, what should the room look like during learning, what should the room sound like, and how do our interactions go. Kids have done this before, so it comes around after a few minutes of sputtering.

I've also committed myself to writing my objectives on the whiteboard where the schedule is. Why? I want kids to see where we are going. Right now that is me directing the ship, but soon it will be them crafting the objectives (with guidance). I surveyed kids (thumbs up/down) at the end of the day to see if we met our objectives... That gave me some barometer of how it went, as well as other things we need to work on (more community, more emphasis on reviewing routine).

So far so good. Very excited to really dig in. Tomorrow we will start doing some fluency work, and I'll also start to really dig into some initial writing kids are doing (intro letter) to see what we need some support with.

No comments:

Post a Comment