Monday, September 17, 2012

Fluency Testing

Last year I fluency tested my 5th graders that I considered to be low. They were students that missed grade level on the 4th grade MSP (state test), or we're close to the cut line. I opted for that approach, thinking it would be a time saver.... It was.

This year I have opted to fluency test our whole grade level. In a profession where time is of the essence, and oh so precious, it would seem counterintuitive. Why fluency test kids who exceeded grade level standard? The key is in knowing them as a reader. This is my first piece of information in my reading puzzle. From the conference I can see just how easy (by rate/voice) it is, as well as how they retell information. I can ask questions and see where they are, and the additional time is minimal because they are faster (by and large).

How does it inform my instruction? The key is it gives me a subtle benchmark for where to go. I don't fluency test them to the instructional rate because it largely isn't necessary- I can tell if books are right from simple passage reading if needed. But it tells me how the handle inflection while they read, punctuation (do they stop at periods?!), and what do they do in retelling? Do they rely on the cover, or can they give more specifics?

It is an interesting puzzle piece. It only begins to fill in as I continue my running records during reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment