Sunday, June 17, 2012

Missing Assignments

I've always wondered how others approach missing assignments in intermediate grades. Do you follow up the day they return from vacation/sickness? Do you give them time? Do you sometimes let it go?

In our electronic grade book I have some items where students have missed assignments. You have the option to mark it so it doesn't count, a common occurrence for me. Typically I'll follow up with students when they return. Sometimes, often on longer assignments, these get lost in the shuffle. Why? The missing 1-3+ days makes getting the writing or research done difficult, particularly if we moved on. What is then more important, the assignment or the instruction?

Sometimes people use recess time. I get that. I often choose not to go that route. They weren't sick because they wanted to be, and they are kids. They need fresh air and time to socialize with friends. If it is a multiday assignment and they are dragging, do we want to do the dance of getting it done because it should? Could we instead bag it because it is benefitting no one?! I lean towards the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment