Thursday, June 7, 2012

Memoirs

As we start to wrap up the year, we have begun our end of 5th grade memoirs. In many ways these are a series of vignettes that encompass moments in their elementary lives. We started them on our last field trip- an all day outdoor experience in Carnation. It was a rather auspicious start.

I'm trying to get them away from listing events from all grades. In the past I've seen this done where kids write about most grade levels, including who they had and what they remember. Often it seems like very little, and lacks feeling. Instead I want them to write about 3 (or more) events in detail, starting with a zoomed out lead in and zooming into that moment that was important. This will yoyo between out and in as they transition between moments. The effect should provide a glimpse into the moments that were meaningful, including how kids felt and what they were thinking.

In the little bit that we have worked on this I've seen kids gradually get moving. After listing events they pick one, often remembering far more than you would imagine. They pick out who they were with, how they felt, and the atmosphere before/during/and after. The smiles as kids talk through moments are heartwarming.

For me this is the payoff. It brings the kids back I center as they get set to leave the comfortable confines of their soon-to-be-former academic home. It gives them a chance to think about where they came from before they find out who they will become. I hope the writing itself will be something they will remember.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I think I'll brainstorm something similar to do with my sixth graders in these last two weeks. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete