Sunday, June 3, 2012

Being Inspired to Write

Writing was never my greatest interest. In fact, literacy as a whole was never really something I enjoyed. Throughout my career as a student, literacy was my weakest area. I preferred math (and PE!). Somewhere along the line the switch was flipped though- I'd venture it was when I began working at a bookstore (the now defunct Borders). You mean I can take any book I want from the store, using it like my library?! Brilliant!

Quite obviously being a reader can translate into inspiration to write. Many of my students that love reading also enjoy writing, and are often quite skilled. Why? My guess would be that they've been exposed to writing that they enjoy, and are willing to attempt something similar. They've been provided with inspiration to write.

I've struggled to find the time to read over the last two months. Having a two month old has led to a significant decrease in available time. Reading? Perhaps some student work. Books? Not so much. Coincidentally, or not, my own writing has tapered off. Some of that is connected to my decrease in time. But I'd also posit that it can be connected to reading far less. I'm not reading blogs as much as I was. Not reading kid lit as much as I was. That has left me without the inspiration to really get going and blogging.

Going forward what do I do? I need to read more. That starts this weekend with kid writing. 75 student writing prompts should provide significant cause to write. At least that is what I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment