Monday, March 28, 2011

Video Killed the Radio Star

I got a chance to watch/listen to some of my wife's national boards for teaching videos yesterday. As part of the super rigorous process you videotape a few lessons that you taught. They are 5+ minutes in length and show different parts of your teaching- some of your instruction, some student response. She taped way more than she ended up using, largely because you need to make sure what you have fits the criteria for the particular entry you are writing for. That got me thinking about videotaping my in classroom. I haven't done any taping this year in my classroom. I taped 2-3 times last year as part of the New Teacher Support Program. It was really helpful to see what I was doing and exactly how I was doing it. How was I selecting kids? Was I selecting some kids more than others? Where was I standing? How did that impact student behavior? What level of questioning was I using? Was it aimed at my objective, or was it confusing and misdirected? I'm considering taping 1 lesson a week to see get an idea of what I am doing. It will also get me more comfortable with the videotaping process in advance of my own run through National Boards... in 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment