Saturday, March 12, 2011

Novel Study Take Two

I'm running a second round of novel study. This time around I've changed it up. Many of my concerns were expressed here. Running groups with 65 kids is challenging, there isn't much of an alternative. While I've seen whole classes read the same book, I'm not sure I could make that work in my classroom. The variance in reading levels makes it quite challenging.

What has changed this time around? The reading kids need to do happens mainly at home. I provide one 15 minute block for kids to read, but they are otherwise expected to get it done for homework. I went through the math with 2 or 3 kids that said they didn't have time, and they actually have close to 2 hours during the week AT SCHOOL to get it done (time in the morning, afternoon, and when we transition- reading as a settling activity we have all kids do). I've also taken away many of the other pieces of homework so that they have a focus on the reading.

What else has changed? I am having kids do discussion questions (3 of them) before meeting with their group. Previously it was one kid responding on paper for their group, and it never gave me a real eye into their thinking (duh, that was the point!). Looking at their response sheets, and listening to their groups, I was really excited about the change. Kids who said "I didn't understand that" were coming to a better understanding. Kids were excited to talk about their books with each other. I also felt like it was more equitable since everyone had something to contribute.

I'll continue to tweak. But for now, a good start. Lots to do heading into Spring Break!

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to know more about the discussion questions kids are doing prior to meeting with their groups. Do you provide the questions or do the kids compose and answer their own? If you are providing questions, do all kids with the same book do the same questions?

    Thanks!
    SUzanne (a fellow LWSD teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanne-
    I compose three questions for the kids- largely inferential or analysis of text. They become the starting point for their conversation. The conversation then can drift into hold they like the book thus far, how they have responded on the FQR sheet, and the questions they have about the book so far. Since I have 65 kids I have quite a few books rolling. I currently have 7 books going, which allows for the discussion groups to be relatively small (and therefore allow for equitable airtime). It is a little bit of an experiment in trying to see what works for my kids- previously it was questions that the group worked on together, not independently first.
    -Pete

    ReplyDelete