Sunday, March 27, 2011

How sick?

I'm finally on Spring Break. It officially started on Friday at 3:01pm, but it feels like it started today. Why? I was sick almost all week. I would wake up feeling ok, slight cough and little runny nose, and head into work. I'd make it through until 3:30 before packing up to head home. On the ride home I'd feel achy, before laying down for 11-12 hours. The next day I'd repeat the process. I was far better Thursday evening and Friday was 1,000x better but still congested. All of that got me thinking. I went it for a few reasons. First, it is a pain to write sub plans. By the time I would have had them written I would have lost some of that much needed sleep time. While I have the skeleton for my sub plans set, it still takes time to adjust. That is particularly so when you utilize technology heavily like I do (plus we were doing a tech project). Second, I feel like I will provide better instruction than a sub regardless of my level of health. 10% of me is better than 100% of a sub, which is not to knock subs (they have a tough job, but I know my kids and know our instructional goals). If I were in another profession would I make the same decision? If I were in marketing or advertising or some other area of business, would I make the same choice? I doubt I do. While I have a tremendous amount of loyalty I doubt I'd decide to buck up and head in.

No comments:

Post a Comment