Saturday, December 18, 2010

New Books!

I was fortunate enough to receive some Barnes and Noble gift cards from the kiddos. They certainly are smart, as they know the books will make their way back into the classroom. I've essentially sworn off adult literature (although I am intrigued by Jonathan Franzen's newest Freedom). I would rather be up on the books that my kids are reading, and be able to recommend books to them. Tough to do when you aren't acquiring and reading new books.

Today I picked up a bunch of books, all new. A rare treat for me. I prefer Third Place Books for their used book selection, particularly as they are mixed in with the new books. It is a good way to get a mixture of books. I also rarely get hardcover, largely stemming from my college days working at Borders- a pain in the rear to tote around hardcover books! Heavier for sure!

So what did I get?
  • Trackers by Patrick Carmen (started it right away, really good. I'll post on it in the next day or two).
  • The Jaguar Stones by Voelkel (found via the ReadingZone). It is supposed to be similar to Rick Riordan's stuff, except this involves Mayans instead of Greeks, Romans, or Egyptians.
  • IQ by Roland Smith
  • Half Upon a Time
  • Ring of Fire
  • School of Fear

I tried to find a seek of some new series as well. Books like the Percy Jackson series, the Ranger's Apprentice, Mysterious Benedict Society, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and the Guardians of Ga'hoole have been huge. Kids enjoy getting into a character, and following that storyline. I'm hoping for good things with the books I just picked up. Should be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment