Friday, December 3, 2010

Discuss Amongst Yourselves

One of the things I really want to do is get kids having a variety of discussions. Kids need to talk to each other, arguing their points of views at times. They aren't vessels to be filled with knowledge by me, as I'm certainly filled with a variety of faults of my own. Instead I want them to exercise far more abstract skills, like analysis, prediction, and evaluation. If you can take information and use it appropriately (leveraged if you will) for the purpose of your argument, then I am definitely doing my job.

A comment earlier mentioned how technology had largely been used for a test taking purpose. I have an Interactive Whiteboard. I could teach without it, but am fortunate to have it. One of the tools that come with my Activboard is an Activote. In short, it is a device that is shaped like an egg, and can transmit voting information to your IWB. You can use it to do an informal comprehension check. You can use it for more formal assessments. You can simply use it for opinions.
Last year in my first year, I was fortunate to observe in a few different classrooms. One in particular had been doing some novel study around the book "True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle." With that, she had a variety of opinion questions that students responded to. The whole group discussion was one of the more powerful things I've seen. Everyone participated in voting with each question. But the teacher then acted as moderator as kids debated responses, agreeing and disagreeing with each other. Kids were able to respectfully disagree with each other, pointing out ways that each other's arguments were flawed. It was a fantastic way to see kids interacting and learning together. There was incredible power in seeing kids talk together, and seeing a myriad of kids participating. I can't emphasize how useful the activote was in that discussion, as kids were inspired to act based on the results- seeing it as vindication (or a challenge) to/for their argument.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Hanson,

    I am a student teacher and I appreciate your comment that "students aren't vessels to be filled with knowledge by me". During a recent lesson where I was trying to facilitate a science class discussion, I found myself in the middle of the discussion between students. I knew that it would be better for the students to be talking to each other, but I was challenged to make that happen midconversation.

    We have activotes too, so perhaps in the future, I could use that tool to help kick off a discussion and immediately start the students talking about their different points of view. At the end of the discussion, it would be easy enough to do anothter activote to see how many students were swayed by others.

    Auntie Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie Susan-

    Talking to each other isn't often natural for kids. They are used to talking to a teacher, getting affirmation (hopefully), and discussion continues. Having them talk to each other can be difficult, and I'll admit that I am not great at it (at least whole group- small group or partner work is more common for me). Sometimes posing a question to another student about if they agree or disagree can help start that process. It also forces them to be good listeners. Keep at it. We're all learning.

    ReplyDelete