Saturday, December 25, 2010

Imagine Nation

Merry Christmas!
If you go back to last year, I set out to do a little bit of work curriculum mapping. In truth, I did some work but probably not as much as I'd have hoped. I did a little bit on Thursday, and I was really productive. But I've also been doing a ton of reading (on book 4 of the break!)
In the spirit of giving I figured I'd pass along a fantastic book to read. If you read one book in the next month, read Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation. I was never much of a comic book fan, but the book (which centers around comics) is wonderful. Short synopsis: orphan boy gets kicked out of boarding school, and taken to a mysterious island (the Imagine Nation). Turns out he is infected with a robot (Rustov) virus that the nation fears, but they agree to test him (and two others) to join the prestigious School of Thought. He goes through testing, leading to an epic finale centered around good, evil, and the notion of destiny.
I really enjoyed the themes that were woven into the story. The ideas of good/evil are clearly evident, yet not overpowering. You also clearly see the idea of using your imagination, and believing in yourself. Obviously kids aren't always as aware of these themes (part of a teacher's job, and the idea of exposure), I feel like these themes clearly come through in the end. Total must read. Next up is Ring of Fire (#1).

No comments:

Post a Comment