Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Monitor and Adjust

We do a ton of summary writing. Students have a chance to chose articles from a variety of news sources, identify main/supporting details, and then put it together in a short summary. I emphasize the word short, although it has been a struggle getting there. Condensing and filtering information is a difficult skill, and my kids have struggled striking the balance between too much and too little (at least at times).

What do you do? Last year I would have said that I would do some individual instruction, or whole group instruction. This year I've been going through their weekly current events, identifying gaps and issues, then pulling kids in small groups within their rotation. Instead of giving 6-7 kids the lesson again in an individual manner, I can do a small group or 2. Be direct in what is missing, and areas where they need to improve and then let them make necessary changes.

Since we revisited summary writing today, I'll be interested to see the quality of work that is turned in tomorrow. Just part of the process of monitoring student work, and adjusting instruction to help them grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment