Saturday, November 13, 2010

Integration of Writing

I'm 2/3 the way through our fall writing assessment. As I read, I think about how I need to do more teaching of writing. I need to find ways to integrate it into my social studies/reading block on a more regular basis. While we do quite a bit of writing, I still feel like I need to be more intentional. I need to focus on particular areas: creative topic sentences, conclusions that connect to the topic sentence, transitions (particularly those that don't feel forced), and adding meaningful detail.

The push stems from the formulaic writing that I see. Don't get me wrong, formulaic writing is organized and has its uses. But I want to push my writers to add their collective voices to their writing. It makes me wonder if rubrics push kids towards trying to check another box off instead of creating meaningful and impactful writing.

This has made me rethink the end of my week. After starting into fiction this week, I think we'll do a short piece of writing. What piece? Not sure. That is what the weekend's for.

No comments:

Post a Comment