Friday, October 23, 2009

Weirdest, Bar None

Today was the oddest day of my short teaching career, including student teaching. The rain in the morning started to throw us off, as did having a sub for one of my teammates. But those shouldn't be that big of a deal. Perhaps it was the absence of some kids, while others had returned from near week long sickness. Whatever it was, I hope it is gone on Monday. I fear that it won't be because of Halloween, and our fall celebration on Friday. But we talked about it before leaving: we aren't taking kids to the party who haven't been focused all week. We'll have our fun, but we need to do the work to earn it.

Next week we've got an assessment on explorers, and a new unit on the colonies. Additionally I am starting a writing unit delving into essays. Reading the Units of Study book on essays has me excited to get started. I think it will be fun, meaningful and relevant to the kids.

As an aside, the presentations/projects I received today were great. Really good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Yup! Welcome to my day! The Biology class in seventh period was more interested in how bacteria is produced in the human body and whether space aliens are involved than in the Nitrogen Cycle. Monday I teach for the first time and the thought is making me ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having weird days happens. The weather plays a big factor as kids (like adults) are creatures of habit. That is why breaks (winter, midwinter, spring) are so chaotic. Days like these mean you need to monitor and adjust (I opted for more structure). Good luck on Monday. Clear objectives, clear ideas of how you'll assess (formally/informally), and overprepare (nothing worse than having kids finished with 10-20 minutes to go).

    ReplyDelete