Monday, October 19, 2009

Conferring With Authors

Writing conferences are a wonderful tool for writing instruction. I feel like they are the backbone of instruction, as they allow the teacher to see what lessons students are employing. From there you can provide feedback, learn more about the student as a writer and person, and you can make changes to your instruction. These conferences are where I find my instruction to be most meaningful, as you can move students along in a way that is individualized to where they are in the writing process.

What I've noticed is that I need to make some changes to my Writer's Workshop (my homeroom literacy time as a whole). My writing workshop has been on a 3 days on/off cycle, alternating with reading. But the cycle is too quick and momentum is lost too quickly. I feel like we are returning to "small moments" for the 8th time since September. It feels stagnate, and change needs to be made. So I'm hoping to put a substantial dent into my writing instruction by going for the next 2-3 weeks with writing, then going for the following 2-3 weeks with reading instruction. I'm less concerned about reading instruction, largely because they are receiving that instruction (from me) during our social studies time.

Ultimately I need to consider my end objective... I want my kids to develop a love of reading and writing. They won't love writing when it comes in 3 day bursts every 2 weeks. You love writing when you get to dive in deep and apply an assortment of strategies that lead you towards improvement. The only sad thing is that I won't be trying out any of the strategies from Strategies That Work 2 quite yet with my homeroom kids. The book is wonderful and worth picking up.

3 comments:

  1. We are discussing this right now in one of my courses at UWB. Developing a love for reading and writing is something we should desire as teachers. My most influential teacher was the one who was able to do this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ultimately you need to be thinking about what it is that you want to accomplish. You are saddled with a myriad of instructional objectives (re: EALRs), and an equally abundant number of units you need to get through. With all of those things, what are we working towards? Loving reading and writing are my goals, and I think the goals of my other educators. The question then becomes how do you balance all of those things?

    At some point you need to consider making some changes if they are going to result in the instructional gains you want. Mine is more schedule-wise than in instructional strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh...the magical word...balance. BTW, I think I am over-prepared for Monday. I do have more activities than we can actually complete. My observation is November 3rd and I am looking forward to having that done and over with. As for balance, I am struggling in a district that has all of their cirriculum pre-written, We are not scripted thanks to a strike, but it feels like the same thing to me. I am on a time table and if I want to stay on a topic longer I can not. I am a guest right now and need to do as I am asked. But I do push the limits during read aloud and try to take a few more minutes to discuss with the students. eight more months!!! BTW, I passed your blog onto my cohort.

    ReplyDelete